Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Go The Extra Mile

In this case... it's more like the extra hundred yards or so. The other day I was asked to photograph a sweeping vista for the San Diego Zoo's Safari Park Half Marathon. It was cool to be back on my old stomping grounds with something a bit heftier than the D90's they had us using when I worked there. It was doubly cool to be able to walk through the back areas and up to this really awesome view that let you look out over the entire park.

The exact spot that was pointed out to me. Give or take a few feet.

That shot pretty much does the job I was asked to do. They wanted to see runners coming down the hill towards the grand view of the park's beautiful enclosures. I wasn't satisfied though, I wanted the view to be grand I wanted people to say "Holy cow that place is huge!" So I hiked up the hill a bit to a spot that gave me a wider view, busted out the tripod and took seven vertically oriented photos. My only gripe is that it was a grey sky instead of a blue one. In spite of that, I am very pleased with the results!

What a view!
Of course that's the smaller version, but if you head on over to my flickr you can see it in its full glory. It's a lot of work, and a lot of computer power, but I think I'll be doing more things panorama style!


No comments: