Friday, February 24, 2012

Light Falls

I've spent a lot more time working with artificial light in the past six months than I have since I bought my first film camera in 2005. Call it a newbie mistake but a lot of new photographers tend to shun artificial light. Maybe it's a lack of understanding or an aversion to a certain look, but embracing created light has lead me into a whole knew world with my photos. There was a time when I wouldn't even consider using a flash before dark; now I find myself looking at all sorts of daylight scenarios where a bit of fill (flash that fills in shadows) would do some good. Or where a bit of creative lighting can turn an ordinary outdoor portrait into something a bit cooler.




Argo knows how to find his light.

I am by no means an authority on lighting. I defer to Strobist when it comes to all questions and answers concerning how to light something. I'm still finding my light. I'm looking for the light that accentuates and evolves the style I've developed. I'm trying to manipulate it in a way that mixes a classic style with something fresh. Looking for ways to improve usually starts with imitation, and then moves on to innovation.


I'm not sure where I got the idea to do this...but I bet it isn't original.

Keep a watchful eye and you'll see me playing with light in all sorts of ways in the coming weeks!


No comments: